03 April 2008

so what do you think?

i was at friend's and she commented that mothers usually have a harder time "letting go" of their son versus their daughter. i started thinking..."maybe so?" we want our daughters to go to be strong, independent women that can hold their own in the world, but we want our sons to be sweet and nurturing--contrary to the male stereotype. my other friends still cuts her sons food up and de-bones their meat...they are 14 and 12! (i'm not mentioning names, but you know who you are...)

if i think about my own children--which one is more rotten? definitely elijah! (i just rocked him to sleep for the second time today...never happened this way with renée) but then that brings me back to the nurture/nature issue. yes, it is true that of the 2 elijah is much more cuddly. he loved to be swaddled as a baby, as opposed to renée who was breaking free of her blanket when she was only a few days old...the list goes on. she likes to sleep in her own bed, while i frequently have the little one crawling into my bed between 3 and 5 am. not to mention--someway or another that "pa pa" always finds its way back to his mouth! maybe it's a combination of being the youngest, second, and a boy? who could know for sure, but what do you think?

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Dang it! I couldn't read all of this post because the music box was in the way. But I think I got the gist. I will have to see if I ever have a boy.

little e said...

i think i've spoiled BOTH of my kids! but jay is hands down more sensitive, but they both have the same..."i need to be close to you" attitude. they have to be in the same room with me, and they don't like to go to sleep without me or josh in the back of the house too. i try really hard to treat them the same eventhough they are so different. and i really hope i'm not one of those moms who can't "let go". i'm going to get practice when jay goes to kindergarten this year!

Cheri said...

Breanna!! I'm so glad you found me! I love blogs! Your kids are darling and I love your perspective on everything. I am such a sucker for Tyler, much more than for Emma. I think it's the "momma's boy" thing - it's real!! Emma is much more independent, but I think I've babied my boy way more.

Me said...

I think it's totally both. Nature and nurture. My mom has three boys and of them, only one is really more dependent. Part of it may be that she likes to baby them, but she's pretty evenly babied all of them and only one of them was as much into it. Interesting to see what happens as he gets older, though, huh?

Kim Moore said...

Umm, having only 3 girls I may never know. Unless I reopen the uterus for business. Bleech!